
via Imago
via IMAGO

via Imago
via IMAGO
When Dana White announced Sean O’Malley‘s rematch with Merab Dvalishvili for UFC 316, Sean O’Malley knew the backlash was coming. Critics immediately dismissed it as unjustified. After all, ‘Suga’ has not fought since losing his title last September, whilst Dvalishvili has already defended it against Umar Nurmagomedov. Many argue that O’Malley should have had to earn his way back instead of being given an immediate rematch. However, as the outcry grows, an MMA analyst has come to his rescue. So, who is this mysterious hero, and what did he say?
Ariel Helwani, one of MMA’s most regarded pundits, took to X to question the reasoning behind the criticism. “I would understand if people are upset about Sean O’Malley getting the title shot if someone was getting wronged. Present to me the person who’s being wronged by this title fight happening. Merab has said this is the fight he wants.” Helwani elaborated on his MMA Hour show, reminding fans that after losing the belt, O’Malley had already demanded an instant rematch, which Dvalishvili agreed to. “The champion wants the fight. He is not upset about it. He’s the one who asked for it last time,” Helwani said, dismissing claims that the UFC was forcing this fight.
For O’Malley, the rematch is about establishing that his previous fight with ‘The Machine’ did not accurately reflect his ability. On his YouTube channel, he stated, “Last camp, we had some s— going on. I don’t want to sit here and make excuses… but this camp has already been a lot different, and I’m feeling good.” ‘Suga’ revealed that he had been struggling with a torn labrum prior to the first fight, which hampered his mobility and overall effectiveness. This time, he promises a sharper, stronger version of himself, one that will surprise the world at UFC 316.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
I would understand if people are upset about Sean O’Malley getting the title shot if someone was getting wronged. Present to me the person who’s being wronged by this title fight happening. Merab has said this is the fight he wants. pic.twitter.com/QjdvWGSlyx
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 2, 2025
However, words mean little in the Octagon. The roads to hell are paved with good intentions. Merab Dvalishvili has only grown stronger since defeating O’Malley, and his relentless pressure style is a nightmare for anyone in the division. If ‘Suga’ wishes to restore his title, he has to prove that he has genuinely leveled up. UFC 316 will be his ultimate test, and with the MMA world still divided over whether he deserves this shot, the only way to silence the critics is by leaving no doubt on fight night. It is also worth noting that it wasn’t just Helwani who came to Sean O’Malley’s rescue, as another UFC fighter believes ‘Suga’ has earned his rights to get a rematch.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Aljamain Sterling opens up on Sean O’Malley vs. Merab Dvalishvili 2
Ariel Helwani was not the only one defending Sean O’Malley‘s immediate rematch. Another prominent voice in the bantamweight division has weighed in: none other than Aljamain Sterling. ‘The Funkmaster’ understands personally what it’s like to be overlooked despite having an impressive resume. After all, when he lost his title against O’Malley at UFC 292, there were plenty of reasons for him to demand an immediate rematch. However, the UFC had other intentions, scheduling O’Malley vs. Marlon Vera before Dvalishvili took the title. With ‘Suga’ earning a second chance straight away, many fans expected Sterling to call foul. But his response would surely take many by surprise.
When a fan on X asked why Sean O’Malley was getting preferential treatment over him, ‘The Funkmaster’ didn’t hesitate to provide an honest answer. “The UFC’s gonna do what’s best for the business and the brand,” he said. While acknowledging that he would have preferred an instant rematch, he also emphasized that O’Malley had earned his position. “O’Malley is a really exciting guy that has beaten many top-five contenders. So, I think he rightfully deserves it after all the ranked names he has beaten.” It was a rare moment of understanding in a sport where fighters frequently criticize the UFC’s choices when they don’t get their way. Aljamain Sterling, despite his frustrations, seems to embrace the realities of the industry.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
That does not mean that everyone will be satisfied with this justification. Many still believe that ‘The Machine’ should have faced a new rival rather than ‘Suga.’ But Sterling’s viewpoint is similar to Helwani’s—if both O’Malley and Merab Dvalishvili want this fight and the UFC sees it as a moneymaker, who is truly being wronged? Whether fans like it or not, UFC 316 is set, and it is up to O’Malley to prove that this is more than simply a commercial decision—it is a legitimate opportunity for redemption. What do you think? Did Sean O’Malley deserve the opportunity? Let us know in the comments.
Have something to say?
Let the world know your perspective.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
What’s your perspective on:
Does Sean O'Malley truly deserve a rematch, or is this just a UFC marketing ploy?
Have an interesting take?