Home/UFC
feature-image
feature-image

While his recent headlines have focused on his political ambitions, Conor McGregor has not forgotten his roots in combat sports. With the Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship (BKFC) prepping for a massive two-day event in Dubai, the Irishman has been busy hyping it up in the typical McGregor way. BKFC’s Middle East premiere offers an action-packed lineup of 44 fighters over two nights, with multiple world titles on offer. And now that the Irishman has thrown his support behind the event, the buzz surrounding it has only grown. So, what did he say? Let’s have a look.

‘The Notorious’ boosted BKFC’s presence by sharing a World League of Fighters post with the caption “Dubai this weekend🔥. Friday and Saturday @bareknucklefc back-to-back! 22 bouts. Four world titles.” While his exact role is unknown, talk is already rampant over whether he will make an in-person appearance. Given his previous interactions with BKFC, including a famous face-off with Mike Perry at BKFC 41, it wouldn’t be surprising if he finds a way to steal the show. Regardless, with Conor McGregor’s backing, BKFC Dubai is already building up to be one of the promotion’s most spectacular events to date.

While McGregor is promoting bare-knuckle combat, he has also received criticism for his recent political involvement. Following a widely publicized encounter with Donald Trump on St. Patrick’s Day, ‘The Notorious’ surprised fans by revealing his intention to run for President of Ireland.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The reactions have been mixed so far, with former UFC champion Daniel Cormier dismissing the idea as “a little ridiculous” on the Good Guy/Bad Guy podcast. “To be a politician, he wants to be a politician. Hell, I think people in Ireland don’t even like him. Everybody I talk to are like, ‘I can’t stand this dude.’ But I guess he feels like he has enough support to go into politics.” Cormiers said.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by WLF (@worldleagueoffighters)

He further added, “It is a bit ridiculous. The politics angle, for me, is a little bit ridiculous, but we’ll see what happens.” Well, with Irish lawmakers already rejecting his candidacy, McGregor’s political career may be over before it ever begins. Despite the backlash, Conor McGregor remains as unpredictable as always.

Whether he’s hyping up fights through his stories, teasing a BKFC surprise, or making political waves, ‘The Notorious’ always manages to stay in the spotlight. As fight fans prepare for two grueling nights of bare-knuckle fighting in Dubai, one thing is certain: McGregor’s participation, no matter how large or tiny, ensures that the event will be a must-see entertainment. It is also worth noting that while Daniel Cormier believes McGregor running for president is ridiculous, his buddy Chael Sonnen believes otherwise.

Chael Sonnen backs Conor McGregor’s plans for presidency

Despite Daniel Cormier mocking Conor McGregor’s political ambitions, one man isn’t so ready to dismiss ‘The Notorious.’ Chael Sonnen has thrown his support behind McGregor’s bid to become Ireland’s next president. ‘The American Gangster’ feels the Irishman possesses attributes that might make him a potential candidate—though he also recognizes the hurdles ahead.

“There’s parts about Conor that I would definitely vote for,” Sonnen said on his YouTube channel. However, he couldn’t ignore the elephant in the room. “A lot of people in Ireland don’t care for him,” he said, implying that McGregor’s flamboyant lifestyle and foreign assets may not appeal to voters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Nonetheless, Sonnen’s endorsement, however partial, adds another layer to McGregor’s surprise entry into politics. Unlike Cormier, who finds the entire situation ridiculous, Chael Sonnen appears to appreciate McGregor’s attempt to spice things up. He went so far as to say, “If I did get a vote, I actually would vote for him.”

article-image

via Imago

Now that’s a bold statement, especially considering McGregor’s chances of even making it onto the ballot are slim at best. The requirements are strict: nominations from 20 members of the Oireachtas or approval from four local administrations. And so far, ‘The Notorious’ has neither. But there’s one thing he enjoys: defying the odds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

And he’s made it obvious that he’s not backing down. The Irishman’s social media accounts have been flooded with political messages encouraging his supporters and criticizing the present Irish administration. His newest statement left no room for ambiguity: “IRELAND, STAND OUR GROUND!!” he demanded, warning of severe consequences if the status quo remained unchanged and unchecked.

It is unclear whether this is a serious political effort or simply another ‘The Notorious’ act. But one thing is certain: whether in the fight realm or the political arena, McGregor understands how to keep people talking. So, what do you think? Will we get to see Conor McGregor running for president anytime soon? Let us know in the comments.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT