
via Getty
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS – OCTOBER 03: Cristiano Ronaldo (#7) of Real celebrates after he scores the fourth goal of the game during the UEFA Champions League Group D match between Ajax Amsterdam and Real Madrid at Amsterdam Arena on October 3, 2012 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. (Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images)

via Getty
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS – OCTOBER 03: Cristiano Ronaldo (#7) of Real celebrates after he scores the fourth goal of the game during the UEFA Champions League Group D match between Ajax Amsterdam and Real Madrid at Amsterdam Arena on October 3, 2012 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. (Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images)
The popularity of soccer has definitely impacted society over the years. Europe, being the center for the sport, has been taking measures to mitigate any kind of hate and abuse that may deter its reputation. But recently, La Liga has been receiving criticism for claims of prevailing racism and insulting crowds. And this even hit one of its most iconic players, Cristiano Ronaldo, according to a recent revelation.
The Spanish League boasts of having the best players in the world. It is home to clubs like Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, which have some of the biggest fans in the world. And according to its president, Javier Tebas, every measure is being taken to keep its environment clean.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
La Liga President reveals how he tackled insults faced by Cristiano Ronaldo
No one would like to hear that Cristiano Ronaldo, being one of the front faces of the sport, has been the target of hate. And keeping this in mind, La Liga’s president recently said that he had already taken measures to deal with such pressing matters. Speaking to A Bola, Tebas said, as translated by DeepL, “I remember very well when people used to shout ‘This Portuguese,…’, and when I became president, I immediately took action against this. We made all the complaints that needed to be made and, in two years, we managed to put an end to this lack of respect once and for all.” insisting that they are not going to accept such offenses.

via Reuters
Soccer Football – La Liga President Javier Tebas speaks to Reuters about Vinicius Jr and racism – La Liga headquarters, Madrid, Spain – May 24, 2023 La Liga president Javier Tebas during an interview with Reuters. REUTERS/Guillermo Martinez
Apart from insults due to his nationality, there were also reports many years ago that Ronaldo faced hate from rival fans. Back in 2015, reports also suggested that fans chanted, “Cristiano es un borracho” (“Cristiano is a drunk”). Tebas, as the president of the Liga de Futbol Profesional himself, condemned it then, calling it “symbolic violence.” That wasn’t the only case.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Moreover, crowds also reportedly directed insulting homophobic comments about Cristiano Ronaldo in 2016. Nonetheless, Tebas says they have no tolerance for such behavior. The president says that every time they hear such news, they are quick to take action, like banning them from stadiums and also reporting to higher authorities.
READ MORE – Cristiano Ronaldo Powers Al Nassr to Crucial AFC Champions League Win in His Landmark Appearance
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
The Spaniard also said, “When this happens, we use every means to identify who did it and bring it to justice. Spanish soccer isn’t racist; there are people who go to soccer and are racist, and we don’t want them in stadiums.” Vinicius Jr.’s incidents in the last few years have raised more voices. And with increasing awareness among people, the fraternity expects Tebas to stay on his toes to take action all the time.
WATCH THIS STORY: Cristiano Jr’s Insane Training Schedule
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT