

Toward the end of last year, Netflix released a docuseries that showcased Aaron Rodgers’ return from an Achilles injury, which he suffered just four offensive snaps into the 2023 season. The series title “Enigma” could best describe the ongoing situation between him and the Steelers as the QB looks to decide on his future. The Steelers have been patient so far. So much so that they have seen two of their former QBs and other targets slip through their grasp as they quietly awaited an answer from Rodgers. The former Jets man, on his part, has done everything, even throwing ball with new Steelers WR DK Metcalf, apart from announcing his next move.
The Rodgers-Steelers story has seen fresh twists almost every other day. On Monday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the door on the Vikings signing Rodgers isn’t completely closed. “I think he’s waiting to see, if over time, there’s any sort of chance where the odds of signing in Minnesota increase and that opportunity could open up. The Vikings have never fully dismissed it or squashed it. They haven’t exactly embraced it right now, but they also haven’t had OTAs with their former 10th overall pick J.J. McCarthy back and leading the team and knowing what it’s like.” Yet, a day later, the Steelers president, Art Rooney II seemed confident that the talks with the veteran QB are moving in the right direction.
“We keep hearing that he’s, I guess, headed in our direction,” Rooney said, via ESPN’s Brooke Pryor, “and so that seems to (indicate that) all signs are positive so far,” he said at the Annual League Meeting. Still, the proverbial ball remains in Rodgers’ court, and everyone is eager to find what choice he makes. However, there was more positive news for the Steelers fans as the long, drawn-out saga seems to be heading to a close.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Andrew Fillipponi of
93.7 The Fan took to his official ‘X’ handle on Wednesday and reported that Rodgers has a secret deal with the Steelers. Yeah, you read that right. “Our Steelers insider @jhathhorn says on @937theFan that Aaron Rodgers has a secret deal done with the Steelers. Wow,” he wrote in his post. There is a growing belief that the Steelers have secured Rodgers’ signature on a reported one-year deal, though the exact value of this contract remains unknown. If this turns out to be the case, then Mike Tomlin and Co. will be glad to close this chapter, one that has seen them remain in limbo for quite some time.To start off, the Steelers seemed to be interested in Matthew Stafford. But the Rams agreed to a new deal with him, removing Pittsburgh from the equation. Then, at the NFL combine, GM Omar Khan expressed his desire to retain one of Russell Wilson or Justin Fields. But he could only watch as Fields left for New York, signing with the Jets. In the meantime, they saw another of their prospective targets, Sam Darnold, sign a new three-year deal with the Seahawks. This left the Steelers with only Russell Wilson and the possibility of signing Rodgers.
What’s your perspective on:
Is Mike Tomlin bluffing about Mason Rudolph, or is Rodgers the real plan for Steelers?
Have an interesting take?
Wilson was eager to remain in Pittsburgh, but a lack of urgency and a fixation on Rodgers meant the Steelers saw him visit Cleveland and New York and ultimately sign with the Giants. Now, the Steelers remain without a QB1 as the wait for Rodgers goes on.
On March 21, Rodgers arranged a meeting with the Steelers’ officials and the coaches at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex. The meeting was for reviewing game footage and understanding Rodgers‘ values and expectations with the Steelers. While the consensus coming out of the meeting from the Steelers was that it went well, nothing official came out of it. Rodgers, it seems went back to contemplate his options.
While Rodgers was still in pursuit of signing a deal with Minnesota, the Vikings decided to go ahead with J.J. McCarthy. To top that off, the Vikings’ general manager, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, admitted that the franchise could sign Rodgers but as a backup to McCarthy. So that leaves the player with only one option at present.
On Sunday, Mike Tomlin said there is no “deadline” for them to take a call on Rodgers. But one cannot help but feel that an early decision, perhaps before the NFL Draft, would benefit the franchise. Last time Rodgers made a decision on his future, it came a few days before the draft in 2023. The Steelers would be keen to avoid such a scenario and Tomlin isn’t waiting around.
Our Steelers insider @jhathhorn says on @937theFan that Aaron Rodgers has a secret deal done with the Steelers. Wow.
— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) April 2, 2025
Last week, Tomlin stopped by Ohio State’s Pro Day and watched Buckeyes QB Will Howard in action. Tomlin and Khan were also reported to have taken Howard to dinner, hinting at interest ahead of the draft. Tomlin and his staff also attended Alabama’s Pro Day and had a meeting with their star QB Jalen Milroe.
Not only this, but Tomlin appears to be on board with the idea of Mason Rudolph being their first choice, which they may have to consider in case talks with Rodgers fall apart
Mike Tomlin backs Mason Rudolph for starting role
Here’s the deal: Steelers’ QB issues aren’t just limited to this season. It all started after Big Ben hung up his cleats after leading the Steelers’ O-line for nearly two decades. Since then, the Steelers have tried four QBs, and nothing worked out.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Now, as they pursue Rodgers, they brought back their former third-round pick, Mason Rudolph, on a two-year, $7.5 million deal. While many would believe that Rudolph is in the fold to serve as backup to Rodgers, if he signs, Tomlin’s words suggest that might not entirely be the case.
During the annual league meetings on Monday, Tomlin revealed that the franchise is “comfortable” with the idea of Rudolph as the starting quarterback. “That’s why we brought him back,” Tomlin said. “I’m comfortable with that (with Mason as starter). We’ve been there before. He’s a very capable guy.” To make it spicier, the general manager, Omar Khan, echoed the same thing. “I have a lot of confidence in Mason,” he said. After spending six seasons in Pittsburgh, Rudolph had a brief stint with the Titans in the last season. He returned to the Steel City after a poor 1-4 record with the Titans.

USA Today via Reuters
Dec 23, 2023; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph (2) reacts to a call in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals during the second quarter at Acrisure Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports
It’s too early to say whether Mason Rudolph is going to start or not. But with this move and Tomlin’s endorsement, it appears that the Steelers are already preparing a backup in case Rodgers changes his mind at the last minute. It would be exciting to see how the situation shapes up in the coming days with Rodgers and the franchise both running out of options at the moment.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Have something to say?
Let the world know your perspective.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
"Is Mike Tomlin bluffing about Mason Rudolph, or is Rodgers the real plan for Steelers?"