Home/NASCAR
feature-image

via Imago

feature-image

via Imago

In early 2023, NASCAR legends Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kevin Harvick made a bold move. They joined forces with Jeff Burton and Justin Marks to purchase the Solid Rock Carriers CARS Tour. This wasn’t just a business deal for them—it was a passion project. The CARS Tour, known for its Late Model Stock Car racing, had long been a breeding ground for future NASCAR stars. For Earnhardt Jr., a lifelong supporter of short-track racing, this was a dream come true.

I’m a huge fan of the CARS Tour and local short-track racing. The competition, the tracks, and the drivers are some of the best around. These regional series are vital to the quality of racing you see at the top level,” Dale Jr. has said. His excitement was contagious as Harvick saw the potential in the CARS Tour. “The goal is to grow the series, bring in new fans, and showcase the talent that exists at this level,” he said.

Together, they envisioned a future where Late Model Stock competitors got the recognition they deserved. In just two years, the vision has become a reality. The CARS Tour has grown massively, and it’s about to go head-to-head with NASCAR itself. In a historic deal, the Series has landed its biggest moment yet—primetime exposure on FOX Sports, putting it in direct competition with NASCAR’s All-Star weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

FOX deal elevates CARS Tour to new heights!

The CARS Tour has long been a proving ground for emerging talent. However, it has long been limited to some regional audiences. But since NASCAR stars joined hands to revive its legacy the Late Model Series received huge attention. Now, for the first time in history, FOX Sports 1 (FS1) will provide live, flag-to-flag coverage of a CARS Tour race. This landmark agreement comes as part of a co-distribution and co-production deal between FloSports and FOX Sports.

Notably, the event will take place at North Wilkesboro Speedway on Friday, May 16, kicking off the NASCAR All-Star Race weekend. This deal is a massive win for the CARS Tour. It will introduce the series to a national TV audience, giving its drivers, teams, and sponsors unprecedented exposure. FloRacing will still provide exclusive coverage of practice, qualifying, and other support events. Interestingly, Dale Jr. and Kevin Harvick won’t just be behind the scenes, as they will be in the broadcast booth calling the race.

This is going to be an exciting and entertaining weekend of racing at North Wilkesboro. I’m very proud of how much the series has grown, and this is an incredible opportunity for our drivers and teams to showcase themselves,” Earnhardt Jr. said in a statement. Additionally, Eric Brennan, the CARS Tour’s play-by-play announcer, will join them. Pit reporter Blake McCandless will also be part of the broadcast.

What’s your perspective on:

Will the CARS Tour's rise challenge NASCAR's dominance, or is it just a flash in the pan?

Have an interesting take?

Interestingly, the CARS Tour event at North Wilkesboro will serve as a high-profile lead-in to NASCAR’s All-Star Race weekend, which runs from May 15 to May 18. The four-day racing extravaganza begins on Thursday with qualifying for the CARS Tour divisions and the Pro Late Model feature. Friday will feature the CARS Tour Late Model Stock Car race in primetime, followed by a jam-packed Saturday of NASCAR Truck Series action, All-Star heat races, and a post-race Jake Owen concert. On Sunday, the much-awaited All-Star race for a million dollars will take place.

Last year’s All-Star Race was unforgettable. Joey Logano took the checkered flag, securing his second All-Star win before going on to clinch the NASCAR Cup Series championship. But the event wasn’t without drama as Kyle Busch and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. tangled on the track. This led to a heated altercation in the garage. Fans are expecting another action-packed weekend this year, but now, the CARS Tour is part of the main event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Dale Jr. & Kevin Harvick have some race plans!

Dale Earnhardt Jr. retired from NASCAR in 2018, but he isn’t done racing. In 2025, he plans to compete in select CARS Tour events, starting with Florence Motor Speedway on August 29. His most recent Late Model Stock Car race came at Florence in the 2024 South Carolina 400. He ran his iconic red Budweiser No. 8 scheme, drawing a sold-out crowd. A mechanical issue ended his night early, but the excitement around his participation proved how much he still moves the needle in short-track racing.

On the other hand, Kevin Harvick is also making his return to racing—this time with a family twist. He will compete in the CARS Tour Pro Late Model division, going head-to-head with his son, Keelan Harvick. Their first race against each other is set for May 31 at Kern Raceway in Harvick’s hometown of Bakersfield, California. “How cool is it that our first race against each other will be in my hometown? The fans that supported me for so long will get to see us race together,” Harvick said earlier this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The father-son showdown won’t be a one-time thing. Harvick revealed that they plan to race against each other at least eight times in 2025. With Dale Jr. racing select events and Harvick taking on his son, the CARS Tour is shaping up to be one of the most exciting series of 2025. The FOX Sports deal has further elevated the tour’s profile, and with its superstar owners back on track, fans have enough reasons to tune into the live action or witness it from the grandstands.

Have something to say?

Let the world know your perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT