
via Reuters
Formula One F1 – Sakhir Grand Prix – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain – Haas’ Romain Grosjean arrives to thank marshals ahead of the Sakhir Grand Prix REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

via Reuters
Formula One F1 – Sakhir Grand Prix – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain – Haas’ Romain Grosjean arrives to thank marshals ahead of the Sakhir Grand Prix REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed
Romain Grosjean walked out of the fire after surviving one of the gravest accidents in F1 history. The Bahrain Grand Prix, 2020, saw the car torn, half caught fire, and it rose in flames. The French driver was trapped in the broken car for almost half a minute before the world saw him walk out of it. But according to the ex-Haas driver, the incident which made him so famous took away from the real deal.
Netflix heavily cashed in on the incident. They dedicated an entire episode of their limited docuseries, Drive to Survive, to the fiery accident. Grosjean, who now races in the American single-seater series, had already become a famous name even before he arrived on the scene. Absolutely enjoying the fame in the United States, which even the likes of Schumacher didn’t have, the Phoenix has a bone to pick with his post-DTS revolution fans.

via Reuters
Formula One F1 – Bahrain Grand Prix – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain – Haas’ Romain Grosjean walks away from the crash scene with the help of medical officers after crashing out of the race Pool via REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed
In an interview with GQ, Grosjean woefully said, “The way I’m known, especially in the U.S., it’s through that accident because a lot of the U.S. audience is very new to Formula 1 and came through Drive to Survive. The way I see my career is a bit more than that.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
He went on to highlight his long F1 career, “It’s 180 Grands Prix, 10 podiums, the best finishing position Haas has ever had in Austria. The crash is definitely part of my career. But it’s just not that. It’s a bit more than that. And I see it as just part of my journey, like any podium.”
Read More: Mercedes Title Challenge Dismissed While Red Bull Dubbed to “Stay on Top” by Great F1 Survivor
But can the Indycar racer make an increment to 180 GP start tally?
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Grosjean’s return to F1; learned never to say never
The fire-filled accident made the Phoenix announce his retirement from the apex of motor sporting. But one can never really take racing out of a race car driver who has felt the adrenaline from the high speed. The Frenchman returned to single-seater racing with Indycar. He races with Andretti Autosports for the American series. With his current employers making a bid to enter Formula 1, will he be open to making a return?

via Getty
JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA, SPAIN – FEBRUARY 07: Mario Andretti, with his son Michael Andretti of the USA, look on as Marco Andretti, the son Michael, tests for Honda during Formula One testing at the Circuit De Jerez on February 7, 2007 in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
In the GQ interview, he said, “One thing I learned last year is to never say never. You never know what the future is like. Formula 1 stays the pinnacle of motorsport. If it was a team to win, yes. Right now I would say I prefer to stay in IndyCar, but again, you never know.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Watch This Story: American Drivers to Win an F1 race
Post-retirement returns in F1 are not uncommon. Maybe the man who rose from the flames might change his mind to make a comeback.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT