Home/Boxing
feature-image
feature-image

“You are a f**king disgrace to boxing, man; it’s f**king sad!” said a disgruntled Edgar Berlanga when Jose Armando Resendiz, an unranked fighter, was named as Caleb Plant‘s next opponent for his May 31 bout at Michelob Ultra Arena in Las Vegas. Plant and Berlanga have been at each other’s throats for almost a year now. Leaving no stone unturned, they have been throwing vicious barbs and jabs at each other online.

Though they’ve yet to settle their score in the ring, consensus pegs The Chosen One as the winner when it comes to trash-talking. The Puerto Rican star has a knack for getting under his rivals’ skin, and he’s been needling Sweethands relentlessly for months. But this time, Plant fired back with a single, stinging line that could make Berlanga rethink his strategy, in regards to trash-talk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Caleb Plant is about that

On Friday, Caleb Plant shared a clip from The Boxing Voice podcast on his Instagram story. The clip featured the host Nestor Gibbs and co-host 2Tone discussing their bitter feud. 2Tone stated, “Berlanga talk like that because: For one, he can talk like that and Caleb can’t talk like that,” highlighting the stark contrast in their verbal game.

This is when Gibbs jumped in, cutting him off. “Why? Why can’t Caleb talk like that? Caleb don’t need to talk like that,” he shot back. In Gibbs’ view, Sweethands doesn’t need to lean on trash talk, as he is a much better fighter. “Caleb fought a f****g heavyweight in the projects, some African-Amercian,” he declared, referring to a high school street fight where Plant took down a bully, wielding a knife. “Beat the s**t out of him,” he added.

Gibbs didn’t stop there, praising Plant’s grit. He got three slaps on high-tier mo****ers. Caleb is about that s**t. He ain’t playing with nobody,” he said, referring to the instances when Plant slapped Jermall Charlo and even got into a brawl with Canelo Alvarez. This soon made its way to Plant, who decided to lend his voice to it.

The Nashville native captioned the story: “Don’t need to talk like that 🤐🤐🤐🤐,” emphasizing what Gibbs said. It was a clear indication by Caleb Plant that he was uninterested in the online back-and-forth and was more concerned about seeing it settled inside the ring. Furthermore, given the nature of the story, he is brimming with confidence that he will come out on top.

What’s your perspective on:

Is Edgar Berlanga dodging Caleb Plant, or is he just biding his time for the right moment?

Have an interesting take?

While Caleb Plant is eager to fight Edgar Berlanga, it looks like the Puerto Rican has some other ideas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Edgar Berlanga does not want this fight

After his first-round comeback victory last month, The Chosen One called out Plant directly. As expected, the Interim WBA super middleweight champion followed on the call-out and sent an offer to Berlanga’s camp.

In a recent live session, the Nashville legend stated, “My manager, personally, Luis DeCubas, reached out to Edgar Berlanga’s manager, Keith Connolly, & tried to make a fight for later this summer.” However, what Plant’s team predicted would be an easy negotiation turned bad when Edgar Berlanga and his camp rejected the fight“He(Berlanga) turned it down. He didn’t want to(fight),” Plant stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

It was quite an unexpected move from the Puerto Rican who has always called out for the fight. Maybe he doesn’t want the fight this summer and is targeting a later date. However, given Caleb Plant’s calendar, a fight in 2025 looks rather tricky.

What do you think about Caleb Plant-Edgar Berlanga’s rivalry? Will we see them in the ring soon? Let us know your thoughts down below.

Have something to say?

Let the world know your perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

0
  Debate

Is Edgar Berlanga dodging Caleb Plant, or is he just biding his time for the right moment?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT