Home/Boxing
feature-image
feature-image

As the new season approached, fans turned their attention to the exciting 2025 lineup. One of the most talked-about fights was the Gervonta Davis vs. Lamont Roach Jr. showdown on March 1 in New York. Davis struggled to secure an opponent after Vasyl Lomachenko withdrew from their potential bout. Eventually, the Baltimore native locked in a fight against Roach Jr., but not without facing multiple scheduling hurdles. In hindsight, it was perhaps a sign of the storm brewing around this matchup. Fight night arrived, and as the undercard bouts wrapped up, everything seemed routine—until a shocking decision changed the course of the night.

Davis, known for his electrifying ring entrances and signature backflip celebration, was poised for another dominant performance. But then, Roach Jr. made his move. Roach Jr. lived up to his nickname, The Reaper—he had come to claim Davis’ undefeated record. Davis fought fiercely, trying to protect his undefeated record. But after twelve hard-fought rounds, he had to settle for a majority draw.

article-image

via Getty

Yet, it wasn’t just the result that stirred controversy. The biggest talking point of the night was the no-knockdown ruling in the ninth round—a decision that left fans and pundits screaming robbery. Davis had taken a surprising knee in the middle of the action. Despite this, referee Steve Willis ruled it a slip rather than a knockdown, letting it pass with a mere warning. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Davis eventually revealed that grease from his hair had found its way into his eye, making it difficult for him to see. Even the NYSAC launched an investigation, but claimed they could not review the replay during the fight because of a “technical issue.” The commission later upheld the referee’s decision, highlighting the fight continued for more than three rounds and the fighters adjusted to the incident.

Had Davis’ knee had been ruled a knockdown—as many believed it should have—Roach Jr. would have won the fight on points. The controversy fueled widespread calls for a rematch. This led fans and boxing insiders pushing for a second showdown, regardless of where they stood on Roach Jr.’s performance. Even the fighters themselves seemed eager to settle unfinished business.

Now, it looks like those wishes are coming true. According to Sports Illustrated journalist Chris Mannix, the rematch could take place in June. “A Tank-Roach rematch could happen as early as June 21st in Las Vegas, sources told @SInow. Both sides are now committed to running it back,” Mannix reported on X. Meanwhile, predictions for the rematch are already flowing in. 

What’s your perspective on:

Did the referee's call rob Roach Jr. of a deserved victory over Gervonta Davis?

Have an interesting take?

Lamont Roach Jr. will win against Gervonta Davis, says prospect

Before the first bell rang that night, most expected Davis to steamroll over Roach Jr. This notion was further backed by the fact that Tank had defeated Roach Jr. twice in the amateur days. However, The Reaper proved fighters evolve and learn new tricks. So, unlike before, Davis seems to have lost some backers for the rematch. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

article-image

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

One of them is undefeated 16-0 prospect Julian Gonzalez. “They’re both going to come ready again,” the 23-year-old told YSM Sports Media. “The first one was a tough one too. I think I had Lamont Roach, I’m not going to lie. But… I wasn’t mad at the draw. I’mma rock with Lamont though, it’s hard. Lamont surprised me a lot, so I’m with Lamont.”

Having said that, it appears Lamont Roach Jr. will get his deserved second shot at Gervonta Davis. It’s hard to imagine Davis would beat Roach Jr. easily. But maybe, Davis would do something different this time. What do you think will happen in the rematch? 

Have something to say?

Let the world know your perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT