
via Imago
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – AUGUST 05: Edgar Berlanga attends the Canelo Alvarez And Edgar Berlanga Press Conference on August 05, 2024 in New York City. (Photo by Johnny Nunez/WireImage)

via Imago
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – AUGUST 05: Edgar Berlanga attends the Canelo Alvarez And Edgar Berlanga Press Conference on August 05, 2024 in New York City. (Photo by Johnny Nunez/WireImage)
Edgar Berlanga had his eyes set on some big names after his fight with Canelo Alvarez last year. However, Eddie Hearn threw a wrench in his plans, setting him up with Jonathan Gonzalez Ortiz instead. Now, no disrespect to Ortiz, but that fight wasn’t exactly the blockbuster Berlanga was hoping for. And just like that, The Chosen One was left feeling like he got the short end of the stick. But hey, Berlanga did what he does best—handled business quick. He put Ortiz away in the first round, no sweat. And with Caleb Plant circling around as the next potential opponent, it looked like that’s the fight we’d get. Or so we thought.
Enter Jaime Munguia. Berlanga, like the rest of us, was straight-up shocked when Bruno Surace, a guy with only four previous knockouts out of 25 wins, put Munguia to sleep in the sixth round. That fight was supposed to be an easy night’s work for Munguia in front of his home crowd in Tijuana. Instead, it turned into one of the biggest upsets in recent memory. And Berlanga? Oh, he didn’t hold back. “That’s why I Tweeted as soon as he lost that he f–ked the bag up, bro,” Berlanga told The Ring recently. But Berlanga isn’t one to kick a man when he’s down (well, outside the ring, at least). He still hopes Munguia can bounce back, get a win, and then they can finally throw down in a real fight. And as for why he’s set on fighting Jaime Munguia next—here’s the answer.
Earlier today, The Ring Magazine shared a post with a caption that read, “Edgar Berlanga tells The Ring he is hoping for a fight against Jaime Munguia later this year.” But why? Two reasons. First, “The Munguia fight is much bigger,” he stated. Why? “You have two countries colliding. Nothing could beat that.” And the second reason is: “You’ve got a young guy my age [Munguia at 28] who has all of Mexico behind him.” And once the 44-2 boxer wins the May 3rd rematch against Bruno Surace, “It’s gonna be a gigantic fight for 2025,” he declared.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Edgar Berlanga tells The Ring he is hoping for a fight against Jaime Munguia later this year. pic.twitter.com/xxRL0NeX7K
— Ring Magazine (@ringmagazine) March 27, 2025
Both the 27-year-old and Munguia have already had their run-ins with Canelo Alvarez, and now they’re both chasing redemption. Munguia, still reeling from his shocking loss to Surace, is out to reclaim his status. And Berlanga? He’s already picturing a first-round knockout if Munguia dares to trade shots with him. “I’m looking to knock out Munguia in the first round,” he told the Ring Magazine. However, his desires don’t end there.
“If he goes and opens up with me, I know I could do it. I’ve just gotta stay in the gym, stay disciplined, stay focused, stay training, and the sky’s the limit for me.” And with all the options in front of him—including possible fights with his arch-rival Caleb Plant and Jermall Charlo—he’s in no rush to make a bad business move.
Instead, Berlanga has his sights set on the biggest payday available. “I’m looking to go with the heaviest hitter. And the heaviest hitter right now is obviously Turki Alalshikh,” he said, referring to the Riyadh Season head who has been making blockbuster fights happen. And if Berlanga gets his way, his fight with Munguia will happen in “Las Vegas” under HE Alalshikh’s blessings.
So, it appears, the Nuyorican isn’t just chasing a big opponent. He’s chasing big money too. But wait—there’s one more reason he’s not jumping into a fight with Caleb Plant just yet.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Edgar Berlanga has leveled up, and he’s letting everyone know
If you remember the Canelo vs. Berlanga press conference last year, you know things got real between Edgar Berlanga and Caleb Plant. The two were trading verbal shots like they were already in the ring. And now that Berlanga is back in the win column, both he and Plant know exactly what they have on their hands—a pay-per-view bonanza just waiting to happen.
But hold up! Berlanga isn’t just jumping into this fight without thinking it through. In fact, he just let everyone in on why he’s too smart for Plant. And guess what? It all ties back to the legendary Floyd Mayweather Jr. After his latest victory, Berlanga spoke to iFL TV outside Caribe Royale Arena in Florida, dropping some serious confidence. “I’m on a different level now,” he exclaimed.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Then came the real gem. “I’mma do the same thing to Plant, Munguia, Charlo… I got dynamite in these hands.” Berlanga said. And if you’re wondering where that belief comes from, well, it’s straight from Money Mayweather himself. “Like what Floyd Mayweather told me. He said, ‘You got dynamite in those hands, just let them sh-ts fly, nobody is going to stand there with you. You hit too hard, you too smart. IQ’…,” That’s some serious praise coming from one of the best to ever do it.
But here’s the million-dollar question: Will Edgar Berlanga actually step in the ring with Sweethands Plant anytime soon? Or is he playing the long game, waiting for the perfect moment? Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Have something to say?
Let the world know your perspective.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
What’s your perspective on:
Can Edgar Berlanga's 'dynamite hands' really take down Jaime Munguia in the first round?
Have an interesting take?