Home/Boxing
feature-image
feature-image

Conor Benn‘s long ordeal seems to be finally over. Nearly two years after testing positive for banned substances, the son of boxing legend Nigel Benn is now cleared to fight in the United Kingdom. The suspension following his failed drug test caused significant disruption to his career, but it appears the worst is behind him. The independent National Anti-Doping Panel had lifted his suspension. But the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) and the UK Anti-Doping Agency (UKAD) challenged the decision.

Early in November, at a hearing, it appears both organizations were unable to provide enough evidence to prove that Benn had violated anti-doping regulations. With the 21-day appeal period now over, the decision seems final, and Benn is officially cleared to return to the ring. Though he has already fought twice outside the UK, Benn will be hoping for a major comeback in 2025. Many fans are eager to see him face archrival Chris Eubank Jr. However, that fight may take some time to materialize. Benn and his promoter, Eddie Hearn, seem to have other plans for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Conor Benn: Eyeing Global Glory

During an interview with iFL TV’s Kugan Cassius at the Sunny Edwards vs. Galal Yafai card, Eddie Hearn discussed the future of Conor Benn. When asked about Benn’s status, Hearn confirmed, “Yes, he’s been fully cleared to return to the ring.

Cassius then inquired about the potential Eubank Jr. fight. “Are we talking about the Eubank fight?” he asked. Hearn responded firmly, “No.” The discussion then turned to whether Benn might instead face Mario Barrios.

Hearn explained that they were considering two main options: a fight against Chris Eubank Jr. or a shot at a world title. When Cassius mentioned the possibility of reaching out to Eubank Jr.’s team, Hearn confirmed that talks had already taken place. “I think Frank Smith met with Ben Shalom the other day for a catch-up. We’re talking, but Conor wants to fight for the world title. He’s made that clear to us,Eddie Hearn added.

Eddie Hearn went on to share that the tension surrounding a potential fight between Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr. had made it difficult to proceed with the matchup. Benn, however, seems to have a clear vision for his future. According to Hearn, Benn told him, “Leave Eubank. We’ll fight him in the summer. Let’s go for the world title first. I’ll win the world title, then I’ll fight Eubank, and by the way, that fight will be even bigger.

What’s your perspective on:

Is Conor Benn's focus on a world title over Eubank Jr. fight a smart career move?

Have an interesting take?

The Barrios Option

Hearn also confirmed that an offer had been made to Mario Barrios’ team. “We’ve made an offer to Barrios. We’re talking to Luis de Cubas. Me and him are straight together,he said. Hearn suggested that Barrios could be the opponent for the major card proposed for February 22.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

article-image

via Reuters

For context, Mario Barrios became a full WBC light welterweight champion, following Terence Crawford‘s exit. At the Jake PaulMike Tyson card in Texas, he faced Abel Ramos during his first title defense. The bout ended in a split-decision draw.

Later, Conor Benn sent a message to Barrios, calling him out in Spanish: “Hey Barrios, I hope that everything is good. I’m ready for this fight. I’m sure it’s going to be a great night for the fans. Here in London or there in America, I’m ready. I’m coming prepared. Notify my team if you are. Let’s go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Fans should stay tuned as this situation continues to develop over the coming months.

Do you think it’s a wise decision for Eddie Hearn and Conor Benn’s team to prioritize a world title fight before the highly anticipated showdown with Chris Eubank Jr.?

Have something to say?

Let the world know your perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

0
  Debate

Is Conor Benn's focus on a world title over Eubank Jr. fight a smart career move?

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT