

Tennis is a solo sport, but no victory or defeat occurs in isolation. Jannik Sinner knows that all too well. The World No. 1 found himself in the middle of a doping scandal after testing positive for Clostebol, a banned substance, in March last year. Sinner’s defense was simple: Umberto Ferrara, his fitness coach, had purchased an over-the-counter spray in Italy that contained Clostebol. The spray then ended up in the hands of his physiotherapist, Giacomo Naldi, who used it on a cut finger. Sinner claimed Naldi later gave him a massage without gloves, leading to the unintentional exposure. Once the news broke, Sinner cut ties with both Ferrara and Naldi. Now, his former fitness coach has spoken out for the first time.
When Sinner tested positive, an independent tribunal ruled that there was “no fault or negligence.” He wasn’t banned, and it looked like he would move on unscathed. But the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) wasn’t having it. They appealed the case in the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), arguing that athletes are responsible for their teams. Their demand? A one-year ban. However, before things could escalate to a full-blown hearing, Sinner and WADA struck a deal. The 23-year-old accepted a three-month suspension.
Ferrara has now described what really happened that led to Sinner’s positive dope tests. Speaking to ‘La Gazzetta dello Sport’, he insisted that he was not to be blamed, as he said, “I have been using it [Trofodermin] for years as prescribed by the specialist doctor as a support drug for a chronic disease. I was perfectly aware of the ban and I have always kept it with the utmost caution, in my personal bathroom. I didn’t give anything to [Giacomo] Naldi (the physio), I suggested using it because he had a cut on a finger that didn’t heal and made his job complicated.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Ferrera further claimed he had warned Naldi as well. “I was very clear in communicating to Naldi the nature of the product and that there was no need to get it in touch with Jannik. In fact, I only allowed it to be used inside my personal bathroom. Naldi did not deny that he had been informed, but said he did not remember,” he added.
🇮🇹👇 Jannik Sinner’s ex-fitness coach Umberto Ferrara says the spray he took to the US was used to treat a chronic condition, before another colleague contaminated Sinner:
“I have been using it [Trofodermin] for years as prescribed by the specialist doctor as a support drug for… pic.twitter.com/2HnzuOxPE6
— Olly Tennis 🎾🇬🇧 (@Olly_Tennis_) April 3, 2025
Regardless of who was at fault, both men were dismissed from Sinner’s team. The World No. 1 eventually moved on, bringing in familiar faces from Novak Djokovic’s camp—Ulises Badio and Marco Panichi.
But did you know it was difficult to convince Sinner to accept the 3-month suspension from WADA?
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
What’s your perspective on:
Did Jannik Sinner's team fail him, or is he responsible for his own doping scandal?
Have an interesting take?
When Jannik Sinner’s lawyer opened up on the 3-month suspension
“In my mind I know exactly what happened, and that’s how I block it (out). I haven’t done anything wrong, that’s why I’m still here. That’s why I’m still playing,” that’s what Jannik Sinner said during the Australian Open. Then what happened? Why did he accept a ban at all if he was innocent?
His lawyer, Jamie Singer, explained to BBC Sport that it wasn’t an easy decision.”It was quite tricky to convince Sinner to take the offer. When I was saying ‘well, look, maybe we should settle for three months,’ he was saying ‘well, why would we do that if the first independent tribunal found it was no ban at all, why would I accept three months now?’ My advice was ‘one never knows what’s going to happen at a hearing, we know that WADA is pushing for a year, if we don’t accept their offer, then they will go to court looking for a year, and who knows what those three judges could do. So the possibility of three months, in my view, was a good possibility,” he said.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
With the ban in place, Sinner’s schedule took a serious hit. He is missing key events like the Sunshine Double, Monte Carlo, and the Madrid Open. His absence isn’t just from competition. Until April 13, he’s also prohibited from practicing with professional players or attending ATP, WTA, or ITF events in any capacity. But there’s a silver lining! He’ll be back in time for the Italian Open on May 7, giving him ample time to prepare for the French Open. His ranking cushion is also large enough that he should likely remain World No. 1 upon his return.
Jannik Sinner may be able to retain his position as the no. 1 ranked player in the world, but when he returns, will he be the same unstoppable force that took over the tour?
Have something to say?
Let the world know your perspective.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Did Jannik Sinner's team fail him, or is he responsible for his own doping scandal?